Thursday 11 June 2009

Considering Carbon-14 Dating

In case I’m too boring…

Otherwise, keep reading:

Today in my e-newsletter from the Biblical Archaeology Review, I received an article discussing the limitations of Carbon-14 dating in deciding between high- and low-chronology when it comes to the Iron Age written by Lily Singer-Avitz. Although applied to a different question, the limitations which the article outlines must still be considered when using C14 dates to support evolutionary theory (or creation theory).

She briefly covers six issues with the gathering and interpretation of C14 dating. In her closing paragraphs, Singer-Avitz writes: ‘Hopefully, as radiocarbon dating continues to develop, it will eventually be more useful in solving the problems of Iron Age chronology.’ This points to the fact that the C14 method is still developing. It is not the ‘be-all and end-all’ of dating questions.

No comments:

Reading Disclaimer

Although I am a creationist, I do not support every opinion offered by those purporting to be creationists. The only way to know my opinion, is to hear me speak.

Past Oddities